Upcoming release

Derek Foreman derek.foreman.samsung at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 14:50:48 UTC 2019

On 1/30/19 6:19 AM, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 12:13:12 +0200
> Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 10:05:47 -0600
>> Derek Foreman <derek.foreman.samsung at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Ok, I've heard no complaints, and we really are overdue...
>>>
>>> There's been some reasonable pushback against dropping fbdev
>>> immediately, so let's leave that in for this release.
>>>
>>> As to the release schedule, maybe:
>>> February 1, Alpha
>>> February 15, Beta
>>> March 1, RC1
>>> March 8 as a first potential final release date.
>>>
>>> Is this too soon to enter freeze?  It's not a lot of warning.
>>>
>>> Wayland has had enough changes that I think another joint release makes
>>> sense.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> here are my picks from the pending reviews. I don't mean that we should
>> wait on them unless noted explicitly below.

Thanks for putting this list together.

>> Wayland:
>>
>> I reviewed https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/49379/ and it needs
>> work.
>>
>> https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/38564/ is probably something I
>> should look into to have in the alpha.
>
> That one landed.
>

>> Weston:
>>
>> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/merge_requests/66 is
>> something I'd like to land, but it needs a small touch.
>>
>> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/merge_requests/62 is
>> probably important enough, that I'd be willing to postpone the release
>> until we get that in. Looks like it is very close.

Jonas mentioned this one on IRC too.  Looks like it's close enough to
delay the release for, and I think everyone would really like to see it
landed.

>> Since Meson is a new thing,
>> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/merge_requests/85 would
>> probably be nice to decide on.
>>
>> Getting NEWS files would be cool too. This was just the first attempt
>> that got useful feedback but I never had the time to take it further:
>> https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/16218/
>>

> I took a look at the Weston changes since 5.0.0 release:
>
> - the exported symbols from weston executable have changed, backwards
>   incompatible, but this probably shouldn't count against libweston
>   major
>
> - struct weston_head gained a new member
>
> - struct weston_compositor gained new members
>
> - struct weston_surface gained a new member
>
> I guess these are reasons enough to bump the major to 6, right?
>
> Would have been interesting to release a 5.1.0, too bad. :-)

Thanks for looking into this, as I wasn't sure yet what the new release
would be called. :)

Sounds like a 6 to me.

We'll definitely be in a holding pattern until the xdg-shell (MR 62)
stuff lands.

Thanks,
Derek