HDR support in Wayland/Weston

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Mar 7 04:26:22 UTC 2019

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 7:12 PM Graeme Gill <graeme2 at argyllcms.com> wrote:

> Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > for the purposes of calibration, imho a calibration tool should just use
> > drm/kms directly and run in a console outside of wayland.
>
> Sorry, but that's a total non-starter. Calibration & profiling
> tools are applications, and need to run in a normal application
> environment to interact with the user. It's like saying that
> the user should switch to console only mode to mount a drive
> of change a file permission. No-one expects GUI based systems to
> operate that way.

Hmmm. For a while now we've had display calibration+profiling
applications compel full screen mode so they're not really usable
alongside anything else. They are in effect taking over. So if it's
possible for the calibration app to set aside the Wayland session, use
drm/kms full screen, and then restore the Wayland session I might be
OK with it. But if I have to log out, not OK.

--
Chris Murphy