HDR support in Wayland/Weston

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Mar 7 07:05:40 UTC 2019

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 10:02 PM Graeme Gill <graeme2 at argyllcms.com> wrote:

> Chris Murphy wrote:
>
> > Hmmm. For a while now we've had display calibration+profiling
> > applications compel full screen mode so they're not really usable
> > alongside anything else. They are in effect taking over. So if it's
> > possible for the calibration app to set aside the Wayland session, use
> > drm/kms full screen, and then restore the Wayland session I might be
> > OK with it. But if I have to log out, not OK.
>
> Sorry, as a Color Management application writer, I'm
> not OK with it. I'd be better off firing up my own complete
> copy of Wayland with the CM API's in it and use it
> to talk to drm/kms, rather than trying to write an app to
> talk direct to drm/kms. And of course if that's the easiest
> course, why do that - just incorporate the CM API's in
> stock Wayland and be done with it!

Not every desktop environment is using the same Wayland compositor, or
even a Wayland compositor at all. So is drm/kms something you can
depend on most of the time regardless of the desktop?

Android is off on its own I suspect. What's Chrome OS using? I dunno,
maybe that's not where you want to be? :-D

> [ And why should Linux/Wayland be crippled compared to
>   every other system ? I can and do do things like fire up
>   a test patch display using ArgyllCMS/dispwin in one corner of my
>   screen while running ArgyllCMS/spotread in another window to
>   measure the patches. There's no reason not to, and every reason
>   to be able to. ]

Of course. It can take 5-30 minutes to do a calibration and
characterization. In particular if I have 2, 3 or even 4 displays
connected I'd want to calibrate them in sequence while the others are
being used for useful tasks.

--
Chris Murphy