wayland-protocols scope and governance

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue Nov 12 20:13:58 UTC 2019

Hi,

On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 at 16:12, Simon Ser <contact at emersion.fr> wrote:
> This document governs the maintenance of wayland-protocols and serves to outline
> the broader process for standardization of protocol extensions in the Wayland
> ecosystem.

OK, we're approaching the nine-month anniversary of this discussion. I
think it would be good to merge it before it would've been born.

We seem to have a unanimous set of agreed-upon initial members with
defined points of contact (listed below). : EFL, Enlightenment, GTK,
KWin, Mutter, Qt, Weston, wlroots (also as a proxy for the wider
phosh/Sway/way-cooler/etc projects using wlroots).

I think there's a good case to be made for adding Chromium/Exosphere
to the list, since they are actively involved in protocol development
and a few of their protocols have already found their way upstream.
Other major users include GStreamer, Kodi, and VLC, but it doesn't
seem like they participate too much in protocol development, and it's
not clear to me whether or not they'd want to be involved. I don't
have a strong opinion on whether or not they should be in the
membership group. Similarly, you could add Firefox and perhaps even
Mesa to that list; I remember others suggesting GLFW, SDL, maybe even
imgui, mpv?

I would suggest that we push the patch with the following initial
member projects and their points of contact defined, and finally
enable MRs:
  * EFL/Enlightenment: Mike Blumenkrantz @zmike
  * GTK/Mutter: Jonas Ã…dahl @jadahl
  * KWin: Roman Gilg @romangg
  * Qt: Johan Helsing @johanhelsing
  * Weston: Daniel Stone @daniels, Pekka Paalanen @pq
  * wlroots (& its users): Drew DeVault @ddevault, Simon Ser @emersion

If we find interest from other projects, we can use their membership
applications as a first test of our governance procedures.

Cheers,
Daniel