What can I replace X Pixmaps with?

Brandon Dowdy brandonrd7 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 09:58:44 UTC 2019

Hi,

I know this mailing list is mainly for anything about Wayland and I know
that Wayland doesn't deal with rendering, so this may be the wrong place to
ask or get advice about this, but I just wanted to get some advice (and may
be some ideas as well) for what I can replace X Pixmaps with(if I'm able to
and if it's possible to do so, of course) since I'm feeling a bit stuck
with that at the moment.

I am working on a fork of a window decorator and I want to replace X
Pixmaps with something else(or at least, an equivalent to it) so I can make
it less X-specific and less X-reliant (and kind-of more cross-platform,
perhaps...? If I know what I'm talking about and if you know what I'm
talking about, that is) for rendering window decorations.

Is there anything that I can replace X Pixmaps with? I was mainly thinking
cairo_surfaces from Cairo(unless I'm missing the point with this or I'm
missing the point with how Cairo is *supposed* to be used) or EGLSurfaces
from EGL(but it sounds like it would be a bit complicated(and just a *tad*
bit over-engineered, perhaps...?) to set up *just* for a window decorator,
but I don't know, I just want your opinion on this), but I don't know if
those would be suitable to use for a window decorator or not(kind-of my
third concern about this).

Also, are there (available) replacements or substitutes or alternatives to
using X Pixmaps that don't involve using X functions or do I have to try
substituting X Pixmaps on my own (somehow?)

I think that's it for all of the information and all of the questions that
I have written down and thought about(at least, for now). I've been
thinking and wondering about this for a little while now and I hope all of
this is clear and understandable to you.

I hope to seek a response from you soon.

Cheers,

Brandon Dowdy