can subsurface and shell surface be used together to manage surfaces

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 09:02:35 UTC 2020

On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 15:07:20 +0800
zou lan <nancy.lan.zou at gmail.com> wrote:

> I read some documents about chrome OS run Android Apks such as
> https://qiangbo-workspace.oss-cn-shanghai.aliyuncs.com/2019-09-10-chromeos-with-android-app/Arcpp_Graphics.pdf
>  As far as I known, chrominum could run upon wayland,  I just wondering how
> it handle Android windows on wayland.
> I think the surface of Android apks could be wayland surface in linux, the
> window could be the shell surface.
>  Since all the android apks are still running on android container, android
> window manager will manage these windows, in wayland, the relationship of
> these surfaces should be parent-       subsurface that map to android
> windows. That's a little of problem, as you are confirmed, one wl surface
> can't be both subsurface and shell surface.
> If each android apks are not subsurfaces, I am confused how Android to
> handle the input events from wayland.

Hi,

you'll have to ask or wait for someone who knows ARC++ to answer. I
don't dare extrapolate details based on that one simple PDF alone.

Android window management is very different from desktop window
management, and I don't even know if CrOS window management is close
to either. Using custom Wayland extensions is always a possibility, it
happens even on the desktops, e.g. GNOME/GTK.

Look at the slide titled "Chromium Wayland Interfaces", for instance.