Screen Lock in Weston 5.0.0

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 09:29:45 UTC 2020

On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 13:51:35 +0530
"Devashish Tiwari" <devashish at cdot.in> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am running weston-5.0.0 on my EVM. I want to integrate my face
> authentication application with it.
>
> I want weston to lock the screen after some time (duration should be
> configurable) and then when I would want to unlock it should open my
> face authentication application first.
>
> I am able to launch my face authentication app now by clicking on an
> icon on desktop as I have specified in launcher section of weston.ini
> file. My app works fine. But I want it to be launched on its own at
> time of unlocking the device.
>
> Weston does not lock the screen right now on my EVM, although I have
> enabled locking in weston.ini

Hi,

you are perhaps aware that the only screen locking functionality in
Weston is in the desktop-shell. Your weston.ini did not indicate
otherwise, but if you happen to use any other shell plugin, it is up to
that to implement the locking behaviour.

Desktop-shell will only accept unlock requests from
weston-desktop-shell, the helper client it launches at compositor
start. In upstream, that helper client only implements a simple dialog
with a green button that unlocks the desktop. It has no functionality to
launch other programs or use them for unlocking, that is something you
have to add yourself in the code.

I don't know why the screen lock does not engage for you. I have a
vague recollection of two different timeouts for blanking vs. locking,
but I saw only one in the master branch at least.