Batching text input protocol changes
dorota.czaplejewicz at puri.sm
Mon Feb 17 18:58:43 UTC 2020
over the past month, the zwp_text_input_v3 protocol has moved to real devices and had seen unprecedented usage. Together with that, it also got a reality check, from which it didn't come unscathed. There are some issues identified:
- a hint that there's no need for an on-screen keyboard
- allow deleting text even when surrounding text is unknown
- making it harder for compositors to send uninformed updates https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland-protocols/merge_requests/16
- possibly graceful switching within text inputs https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/2437
- sending control events (submit, next field, undo) to gain independence from a virtual keyboard protocol
I might have left something out.
Since they are all relatively unrelated, they can thankfully be discussed separately. But merging them in separately would create needlessly many combinations of possible supported versions.
A new integration branch on gitlab would keep related merge requests on the wayland-protocols repo, and it could be merged as one large update once it's sufficiently hardened. Or is there another way to do this?
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 833 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
More information about the wayland-devel