Fullscreen window (Re: Thread safety when rendering on a separate thread)

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 11:25:22 UTC 2020

On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 11:46:59 +0100
Guillermo Rodriguez <guillerodriguez.dev at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just tried this but found that fullscreen windows seem to be made
> fully opaque (black surface behind), which does not work for me.

Yes, that is very intentional.

> I have two "pseudo full screen" windows, one is stacked on top of the
> other, and the topmost window needs to have transparent areas.

The same process or separate processes?

The same client or separate clients?

Usually that is managed by making one of the windows a sub-surface for
the other, but that only works within the same client.

> So I guess I will need to stick with a toplevel surface and rely on
> Weston keeping the whole window visible..

That is very unfortunate. We cannot even attempt to keep that working
from upstream side. You are depending on luck for window positioning
and stacking order. Wouldn't a user hitting Mod+Tab or Alt+Tab already
break your setup?

Do you prevent pointer and touch input to one of the windows completely
via input regions?

Sounds like fixing that properly could mean an architectural re-design
for your application.