Fullscreen window (Re: Thread safety when rendering on a separate thread)

Guillermo Rodriguez guillerodriguez.dev at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 11:49:34 UTC 2020

El jue., 30 ene. 2020 a las 12:25, Pekka Paalanen
(<ppaalanen at gmail.com>) escribió:

> On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 11:46:59 +0100
> Guillermo Rodriguez <guillerodriguez.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Just tried this but found that fullscreen windows seem to be made
> > fully opaque (black surface behind), which does not work for me.
>
> Yes, that is very intentional.
>
> > I have two "pseudo full screen" windows, one is stacked on top of the
> > other, and the topmost window needs to have transparent areas.
>
> The same process or separate processes?
>
> The same client or separate clients?
>
> Usually that is managed by making one of the windows a sub-surface for
> the other, but that only works within the same client.

Yes, but this is not possible in my case. These are two separate
applications; one of them (the "main" application) controls the other
(a OSD style component which stays on top) by sending commands to it
through a CLI.
So I cannot easily make one window a sub-surface of the other.

> > So I guess I will need to stick with a toplevel surface and rely on
> > Weston keeping the whole window visible..
>
> That is very unfortunate. We cannot even attempt to keep that working
> from upstream side. You are depending on luck for window positioning
> and stacking order. Wouldn't a user hitting Mod+Tab or Alt+Tab already
> break your setup?

Well, there's no keyboard :-)

> Do you prevent pointer and touch input to one of the windows completely
> via input regions?

Yes; the OSD app does not accept any input.

> Sounds like fixing that properly could mean an architectural re-design
> for your application.

If that means combining the two applications into one -- I'd rather
not do that; there are multiplea reasons why these are designed as
independent applications.
Ideally I should be able to find a way to setup Wayland to fit the
requirements rather than the opposite (tweak the requirements to fit
Wayland :-)

BR,

Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia