weston-info as a standalone utility

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Jul 13 06:03:40 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jul 09, 2020 at 05:14:32PM +0200, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 at 16:41, Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 at 15:38, Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > +1 for having this under the wayland organization in Gitlab.
> > > +1 for deleting weston-info from Weston repository.
> > >
> > > Shall we keep the new repository only for "info" tools, or should
> > > it contain more, like Weston's simple-shm, simple-egl, and a
> > > rewrite of weston-eventdemo that doesn't use toytoolkit?
> > >
> > > I would be fine with moving all "simple" clients from Weston
> > > repository to there if that's appropriate.
> >
> > +1 to all of the above. I'd be happy to see it in a utils and examples
> > repo, with at least the ones you mentioned here. I don't think
> > toytoolkit should ever be pushed in there, because then we run the
> > danger of people thinking it might be a good idea.
>
> Thanks for your support!
>
> Having another "utils and example" repo is a good idea, but I think
> weston-info stands apart from the other programs you mentioned,
> simple-shm, simple-egl or eventdemo are more testing or debugging
> tools, I reckon.
>
> I mean weston-info is simple and generic enough that it deserves a
> repo of its own. Besides, having it in its own repo would allow for
> new releases whenever we see fit, i.e. when we want to add more
> information for new protocols, without having to deal with other
> unrelated tools.

I agree with olivier here, wayland-info should always work, against any
compositor and just list the basic information about the protocols - and all
of them, ideally. No interactivity, no toolkits, no debugging beyond the
most basic grep.

Any other tools can well go into a wayland-utils repo but they're different
to wayland-info.

Cheers,
   Peter