weston-info as a standalone utility

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 06:53:33 UTC 2020

On Mon, 13 Jul 2020 16:03:40 +1000
Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at who-t.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 09, 2020 at 05:14:32PM +0200, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> > Hey,

> > > +1 to all of the above. I'd be happy to see it in a utils and examples
> > > repo, with at least the ones you mentioned here. I don't think
> > > toytoolkit should ever be pushed in there, because then we run the
> > > danger of people thinking it might be a good idea.
> >
> > Thanks for your support!
> >
> > Having another "utils and example" repo is a good idea, but I think
> > weston-info stands apart from the other programs you mentioned,
> > simple-shm, simple-egl or eventdemo are more testing or debugging
> > tools, I reckon.
> >
> > I mean weston-info is simple and generic enough that it deserves a
> > repo of its own. Besides, having it in its own repo would allow for
> > new releases whenever we see fit, i.e. when we want to add more
> > information for new protocols, without having to deal with other
> > unrelated tools.
>
> I agree with olivier here, wayland-info should always work, against any
> compositor and just list the basic information about the protocols - and all
> of them, ideally. No interactivity, no toolkits, no debugging beyond the
> most basic grep.
>
> Any other tools can well go into a wayland-utils repo but they're different
> to wayland-info.

Hi Olivier,

could you explain a bit more about how weston-info is so different
from the other simple demos?

I'll throw in an extra idea: Weston should be good for testing
other projects in CI, as a headless display server to run your
project to be tested against. We haven't done it upstream, so I'm
not sure it's as easy as it should be. The repository hosting
wayland-info would be perfect for this: have the CI run
wayland-info against a version-locked Weston release and verify
the output is as expected. Wayland-info gets CI to begin with, and
we see how Weston bends to the task. You can also add other Wayland
compositors to CI to test wayland-info against.