weston-info as a standalone utility

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Tue Jul 14 08:39:33 UTC 2020

On 2020-07-13 8:53 a.m., Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jul 2020 16:03:40 +1000 Peter Hutterer
> <peter.hutterer at who-t.net> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 09, 2020 at 05:14:32PM +0200, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
>>> Hey,

>>> Thanks for your support!
>>>
>>> Having another "utils and example" repo is a good idea, but I
>>> think weston-info stands apart from the other programs you
>>> mentioned, simple-shm, simple-egl or eventdemo are more testing
>>> or debugging tools, I reckon.
>>>
>>> I mean weston-info is simple and generic enough that it
>>> deserves a repo of its own. Besides, having it in its own repo
>>> would allow for new releases whenever we see fit, i.e. when we
>>> want to add more information for new protocols, without having
>>> to deal with other unrelated tools.
>>
>> I agree with olivier here, wayland-info should always work,
>> against any compositor and just list the basic information about
>> the protocols - and all of them, ideally. No interactivity, no
>> toolkits, no debugging beyond the most basic grep.
>>
>> Any other tools can well go into a wayland-utils repo but they're
>> different to wayland-info.
>
> Hi Olivier,
>
> could you explain a bit more about how weston-info is so different
> from the other simple demos?

And from the corresponding glxinfo / vulkaninfo & friends, which don't
have their own repositories either. The only exception that comes to
mind offhand is xdpyinfo, but that's just because every single app got
its own repository when the monolithic X tree was split up, which
these days seems to be generally considered as having gone overboard.

> I'll throw in an extra idea: Weston should be good for testing
> other projects in CI, as a headless display server to run your
> project to be tested against. We haven't done it upstream, so I'm
> not sure it's as easy as it should be.

FWIW, I'm currently working on using weston like this for Xwayland
testing in xserver, seems to work fine so far.

- --
Earthling Michel Dänzer               |               https://redhat.com