Wayland Direct Framebuffer (FreeBSD)

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 13:48:41 UTC 2020

On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 15:52:07 -0400
Lonnie Cumberland <lonnie at outstep.com> wrote:

> Yea, that is the idea.
>
> The concern for me is that my main OS for the project being built off of
> FreeBSD that has been trimmed down with a project called "mfsBSD" is at
> about 30MB in size (compressed, uncompress is about 65MB). It holds
> everything except the graphic stuff.
>
> As this is an exercise in trying to keep the total build to the absolute
> minimum, I would absolutely love it if I can also keep the Wayland stuff
> down as well so that the whole ISO image is less than 100MB if at all
> possible. Of course smaller is even better.

Hi,

if you use Weston, I think you should be able to avoid all of Mesa by
using Weston's Pixman renderer (--use-pixman on the command line).
Weston has build options to not build the GL-renderer that needs GL
drivers (e.g. Mesa). You can disable a lot by Weston's build options to
avoid many dependencies, e.g. everything X11 related.

I recommend using Weston's DRM-backend if possible, but if not,
fbdev-backend still exist for very limited use cases.

We just merged kiosk-shell in Weston, too, which might be interesting
for your single-app use case.

Mind, that for BSD you will still need downstream patches, since
libwayland and weston use some Linuxisms.