Compositor handoffs: Switching clients between compositors

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Tue Aug 17 21:58:53 UTC 2021

> FYI we did this a few years back for efl and enlightenment... on a loss of the

Yeah, it's good stuff.
I'm forced to go a bit lower as I'm trying to retroactively support
applications that have some pre-existing assumptions, but overall the
idea is the same.

> we added an extended protocol for the compositor to send a UUID to the client
> per surface and clients on reconnect provide that UUID to the compositor - this
> allows the compositor to fix all the stacking and other state when the surfaces
> come back. :)
>
> https://git.enlightenment.org/core/enlightenment.git/tree/src/protocol/session-recovery.xml

Thanks. We had taken a look at that.
The Xdg session protocol that I mention we hope to expand on is built
on top of this with the same base principle.
We haven't yet tried really making use of it.

> i think in theory efl apps should then work with your hand-off (for us its
> session recovery but that is your intent too - handling compositor crashes

>i think in theory efl apps should then work with your hand-off

I gave it a go with efl git and the enlightenment terminal.
It unfortunately crashes, but I didn't look into the cause.
Based on the trace, it did look like it was trying to reconnect.

David