Compositor handoffs: Switching clients between compositors

Carsten Haitzler raster at rasterman.com
Wed Aug 18 07:58:06 UTC 2021

On Tue, 17 Aug 2021 22:58:53 +0100 David Edmundson <david at davidedmundson.co.uk>
said:

> > FYI we did this a few years back for efl and enlightenment... on a loss of
> > the
>
> Yeah, it's good stuff.
> I'm forced to go a bit lower as I'm trying to retroactively support
> applications that have some pre-existing assumptions, but overall the
> idea is the same.

aaaah. ok - we took a "everyone support the protocol please and re-connect...
thanks" idea. clients that do not will not recover.

> > we added an extended protocol for the compositor to send a UUID to the
> > client per surface and clients on reconnect provide that UUID to the
> > compositor - this allows the compositor to fix all the stacking and other
> > state when the surfaces come back. :)
> >
> > https://git.enlightenment.org/core/enlightenment.git/tree/src/protocol/session-recovery.xml
> >
> Thanks. We had taken a look at that.
> The Xdg session protocol that I mention we hope to expand on is built
> on top of this with the same base principle.
> We haven't yet tried really making use of it.

excellent. we might be able to merge then at some point - at least you have
another toolkit and compositor already implementing some of this.

> > i think in theory efl apps should then work with your hand-off (for us its
> > session recovery but that is your intent too - handling compositor crashes
>
> >i think in theory efl apps should then work with your hand-off
>
> I gave it a go with efl git and the enlightenment terminal.
> It unfortunately crashes, but I didn't look into the cause.
> Based on the trace, it did look like it was trying to reconnect.

hmm. will have to look into it.

Carsten Haitzler - raster at rasterman.com