Buffer Damage

Vlad Zahorodnii vlad.zahorodnii at kde.org
Mon Jan 4 12:36:18 UTC 2021

On 1/4/21 2:05 PM, Simon Ser wrote:
> I don't think these would benefit from the optimization you're
> suggesting. They don't cycle between pre-rendered buffers, for
> instance.

No, no, it was just an example when the surface damage and the buffer
damage might be different, I don't necessarily want to optimize that
extremely rare case. The issue is that the compositor has simply no idea
how exactly the client utilizes the buffers. Keeping the last N surface
damages and accumulating them is a good heuristic, but it may produce
incorrect results in some cases + it is redundant if the app uses
hardware acceleration.

The bottom line is that shared memory client buffers tank performance
and something should be probably done about it.

Cheers,
Vlad