accessibility: implementation of zoom/invert on Wayland?

Jan Bölsche jan at lagomorph.de
Fri Jul 2 06:43:29 UTC 2021

Hi Patrick,

being visually impaired myself I had the same problem as your friend when
moving from OSX to Linux. I am now using KDE Plasma as a desktop and have
some custom keybindings for zooming.

Here's my ~/.xbindkeysrc

----
dbus org.kde.kglobalaccel /component/kwin invokeShortcut view_zoom_in"
    alt + b:5
"qdbus org.kde.kglobalaccel /component/kwin invokeShortcut view_zoom_out"
    alt + b:4
----

b:4 and b:5 are "scroll wheel" up/down. This results in a similar user
experience to OSX: by holding Alt and swiping with two fingers up and down
you zoom in and out. I use this every day, all the time.

You need to run xbindkeys in the user session to make this work.

Hope this is useful,
Jan