Window positions under wayland

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Fri Aug 5 16:58:55 UTC 2022

On Fri, 5 Aug 2022 at 17:21, Igor Korot <ikorot01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 4, 2022 at 9:20 PM Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> > No, they are about position too. 100,100 on a 1920x1080 resolution is about 5%
> > to the right of the left edge and 10% from the top. 100,100 on 3840x2160 is
> > 2.5% from the left and 5% from the top, on the same monitor. The user has a
> > right to expect the same finger-width position on the screen, relative to where
> > their eyes are looking at.
>
> No, they are not.
> It should be up to the application to decide the coordinate system PPI/DPI/etc.

This is why there is no value in this discussion. You are making
assertions like this as if they are axiomatic.

It would be possible to redesign Wayland following the principles you
have described. No-one is doing this, however. We have carefully
considered the points you have raised over the past 14 years and
reached different conclusions. I'm sorry that Wayland is not the
perfect window system you envisage in your own head, but just
repeating your same beliefs that the design is fundamentally flawed
over and over, will not force us to change the design.