Position set/get prototype template

Carsten Haitzler raster at rasterman.com
Mon Aug 8 16:30:15 UTC 2022

On Mon, 8 Aug 2022 16:42:02 +0100 Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> said:

> Igor,
>
> On Mon, 8 Aug 2022 at 15:54, Igor Korot <ikorot01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Or even better - when one of you will need to quickly create a
> > "proof-of-concept" application that will jump all over the places on every
> > startup...
>
> We've written applications for years. We know how to make it work.
> We've explained to you how to make it work. It may not work in the
> exact way you have in your head, but the real usecases can and do
> work, even if you won't listen to patient explanations.
>
> This discussion has more than run its course by now. Unfortunately as
> you seem hellbent on continuing to repeat the same thing over and over
> without listening to anything else being said, your posts will now be
> moderated.

What Daniel said. My mistake for putting fuel on the fire and explaining why
Wayland does not have explicit positioning. I hoped to provide some explaining
of the history of pain that led up to things being this way (and there are
decades of experience per experienced Wayland developer who supports this).
We've all done everything from display servers to window managers to
compositors, toolkits, applications and more for many decades.

Solve the corner cases not already solved. Don't do "give me a sledgehammer to
break the world with" with explicit positioning.

Carsten Haitzler - raster at rasterman.com