General question about new API introduction in Wayland

Filip Filmar filmil at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 02:11:46 UTC 2022

Hi folks!

Thanks for helping me out with my text input v3 API question
<https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2022-December/042541.html>
.

If I may, I'd like to ask a few orienting questions about the API lifecycle
and implementation in Wayland.

To wit, the text input is an unstable API.  I take it to mean that it can
change abruptly. What happens then with the implementers of this API? When,
or why would they (ever) want to update the client side to match the latest
and greatest Wayland APIs?

Further, what is the general approach when a client finds a wayland API is
found to be lacking functionality?  I understand that if there is general
interest in the feature, it might make sense to contribute an
implementation.

But, in a case where it's a niche interest of a client, what can a client's
owner do?

In the case of a text input API, it seems that when it changes, the entire
universe of Wayland-supporting clients would need to implement the
client-side changes. Who is (ever) motivated to do that? How does that
usually play out in the Wayland world?

Thanks for your time!