Ways to test Weston during development (Re: Full-motion zero-copy screen capture in Weston)

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Jun 5 10:07:31 UTC 2024

Hi,

On Wed, 5 Jun 2024 at 09:09, Pekka Paalanen
<pekka.paalanen at collabora.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Jun 2024 20:33:48 +0000
> "Hoosier, Matt" <Matt.Hoosier at garmin.com> wrote:
> > Tactical question: I somehow missed until this point that the remote
> > and pipewire plugins will only run if the DRM backend is being used.
> >
> > But the DRM backend *really* doesn't want to start nowadays unless
> > you're running on a system with seatd and/or logind available.
> > Toolbox [1] is the de facto way to develop on bleeding edge copies of
> > components these days. But it logind and seatd aren't exposed into it.
> >
> > How do Weston people interactively develop on the Weston DRM backend
> > nowadays?
> >
> > [1] https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fedora-silverblue/toolbox/
>
> I'm doing it old-school on my workstation, without any containers. What
> dependencies my distribution does not provide, I build and install
> manually into a prefix under $HOME:
>
> https://www.collabora.com/news-and-blog/blog/2020/04/10/clean-reliable-setup-for-dependency-installation/
>
> The "clean and reliable" is probably outdated in this era of
> containers...

Yes, doing it in containers is a little bit tricky since it's not
exactly the design case. Honestly, on my Silverblue systems, I just
install a bunch of relevant dependencies into the system image with
rpm-ostree, and have a pile of self-built dependencies in a local
prefix.

This might give you some insight however:
https://github.com/containers/toolbox/issues/992

It probably needs some minor changes in Weston but does at least seem doable ...

Cheers,
Daniel