Wayland debugging with Qtwayland, gstreamer waylandsink, wayland-lib and Weston

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Fri Mar 8 17:59:35 UTC 2024

On 08/03/2024 15:23, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Mar 2024 14:50:30 +0000
> Terry Barnaby <terry1 at beam.ltd.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 05/03/2024 12:26, Pekka Paalanen wrote:

>>> Right, Wayland does not work that way. Wayland sees any client as a
>>> single entity, regardless of its internal composition of libraries and
>>> others.
>>>
>>> When Wayland delivers any event, whether it is an explicit resize event
>>> or an input event (or maybe the client just spontaneously decides to),
>>> that causes the client to want to resize a window, it is then up to the
>>> client itself to make sure it resizes everything it needs to, and keeps
>>> everything atomic so that the end user does not see glitches on screen.
>>>
>>> Sub-surfaces' synchronous mode was needed to let clients batch the
>>> updates of multiple surfaces into a single atomic commit. It is the
>>> desync mode that was a non-mandatory add-on. The synchronous mode was
>>> needed, because there was no other way to batch multiple
>>> wl_surface.commit requests to apply simultaneously guaranteed. Without
>>> it, if you commit surface A and then surface B, nothing will guarantee
>>> that the compositor would not show A updated and B not on screen for a
>>> moment.
>>>
>>> Wayland intentionally did not include any mechanism in its design
>>> intended for communication between a single client's internal
>>> components. Why use a display server as an IPC middle-man for something
>>> that should be process-internal communication. After all, Wayland is
>>> primarily a protocol - inter-process communication.
>> Well as you say it is up to the client to perform all of the surface
>> resize work. So it seems to me, if the client had an issue with pixel
>> perfect resizing it could always set any of its desynced surfaces to
>> sync mode, or just stop the update to them, while it resizes. I don't
>> see why Wayland needs to ignore the clients request to set a subsurface
>> desynced down the tree.
> You're right, but it's in the spec now. I've gained a bit more
> experience in the decade after writing the sub-surface spec.
>
> You can still work around it by setting all sub-surfaces always desync.

Oh you wrote it, thanks for the work!

So maybe time for version n+1 then :)

Actually allowing sub/subsurfaces to work in desync should not break any
existing clients as they cannot use it yet. Obviously new clients
written for it would not work on older Wayland servers though.

Its difficult to desync all the higher surfaces in a Qt or probably
other Widget set application, they are controlled by Qt and Qt does not
give you access to the subsurfaces it has created. It would be better to
have had a wl_surface_set_desync(wl_surface*) rather than a
wl_subsurface_set_desync(wl_subsurface*).

With clients using lots of libraries/subsystems it is better to not use
their internal workings unless you have to. Normally you try and work at
the least common denominator, in this case the Wayland display system as
that is the shared module they both use (at least when driving a Wayland
display server). This is why it is nice to have a surface that is almost
totally independent of others and just is shown/not shown, is over/below
etc. other surfaces like an XWindow. The Wayland surfaces are mainly
this as far as I can see, apart from this desync mode although maybe
there are others.

I have asked in the Qt forums if they could provide some sort of API to
allow the setting of desync up the tree, but this may not happen and it
might be difficult for them as it could mess up their applications
rendering. It also does not match other display system API's that they
support. The higher level QWidgets ideally need synced surfaces, its
just the Video surfaces that need desync. Really I think this is the
Wayland servers job.

>> In fact does it return an error to the client
>> when the Wayland server ignores this command ?
> There is no "return error" in Wayland. Either a request succeeds, or
> the client is disconnected with an error. It's all asynchronous, too.
>
> Any possibility for graceful failure must be designed into protocol
> extensions at one step higher level. If there is room for a graceful
> failure, it will be mentioned in the XML spec with explicit messages to
> communicate it.
>
> Which command do you mean?

I meant the wl_subsurface_set_desync() API call on a sub/subsurface that
doesn't work. As no errors were returned it took a long time to find out
why things weren't working, just some lower level threads locked up.

Personally I think these sort of occasional, performance irrelevant,
types of methods/requests/commands should be synchronous (maybe under an
asynchronous comms system) and return an error. Makes developing clients
much easier and allows clients to recover from issues much easier or at
least tell the users there is a problem at the point of the call. As
part of my previous work I have designed/written and use an Object
Access protocol API that I guess is similar to the lower Wayland
protocol. It to has an IDL language but it does support asynchronous and
synchronous RPC's.

> There is no "ignore" with wl_surface nor wl_subsurface.
> wl_surface.commit is always acted upon, but the sub-surface sync mode
> determines whether the state update goes to the screen or to a cache.
> No state update is ignored unless you destroy your objects. The frame
> callbacks that seem to go unanswered are not ignored, they are just
> sitting in the cache waiting to apply when the parent surface actually
> updates on screen.

Well I consider the fact that I have told a subsurface to go into desync
mode and it doesn't and doesn't return an error, an ignore. Unless there
is a way to determine this did not work ?

> Thanks,
> pq

Anyway, just finished debugging our new IMX8mp board and have to tidy up
the Linux port now. There is a kernel "crash" at the moment which could
be to do with the way I am trying to get the video stream to work to a
surface that is triggering some NXP 2D/3D hardware driver issue
(probably a Mutex issue).

Thanks for the work on Wayland.