How to make a scratch pad for Wayland ?

Wiiz Nokes2 wiiznokes2 at gmail.com
Mon May 27 21:21:14 UTC 2024

Hi, i would like to make a scratch pad that could work on any wayland
compositor (if its possible, if not, the main compositor will be in charge
i guess).

My requirements are:
- my client need to draw on the screen
- it need to embed any application, like firefox or anythings
- it could work with multiple app at the same time, e.i. there could be 2
shortcuts to show 2 differents app, or more.
- need to animate the apparition of an app, with a drop down animation.

I think the process for doing it is to make an nested compositor, like the
[doc](https://wayland.freedesktop.org/docs/html/ch02.html) suggest.

I'm not experienced with wayland so any advice is welcome, but my main
concern currently is to know if it's possible to control the location and
the size of a surface like firefox, without modification in the source code
of firefox. How can i do this ? And also, the windows owned by my client
need to not appears in the workspace or the dock of the main compositor.

Thanks for your help