[Xcb] Re: [Xlibs] Re: Quick XCL, implemented

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys@hp.com
Tue, 04 Nov 2003 19:25:02 -0500

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 11:21, Jamey Sharp wrote:
> I should probably have described Mozilla's symptom, eh? It starts,
> outputs nothing, creates no windows, and exits with status 1 a second
> later. Looks like Debian's /usr/bin/mozilla might be interfering with my
> testing some, since it modifies LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but I don't think
> that's the problem...
>
> I notice I'm having some trouble testing my patch due to a lack of X
> apps on my laptop. I almost never run anything but xterm and Mozilla. :)
> xfontsel and xcalc produce this output on my patched Xlib, and xfontsel
> hangs:
>
> Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
> Warning: X locale modifiers not supported, using default
> Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset

We see this in the fd.o version of Xlib: we aren't installing
the locale files properly.  Fixed sometime soon.

> It looks to me like Gtk+ 1.2 uses the X locale stuff when setting window
> titles... am I wrong?

Wouldn't surprise me.

> > An easy way to check this out is to run a convenient Motif app; about
> > the only one I personally run regularly any more is Acrobat reader
> > (acroread).  Note that the X locale stuff isn't working this instant
> > on fd.o Xlibs; we have to autofoo it yet.
>
> Well, acroread crashes:
>
> Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
> Warning: X locale modifiers not supported, using default
> Fatal System Error: Raise at top of Exception Stack
> /usr/bin/acroread: line 7:  1229 Aborted /usr/lib/Acrobat5/bin/acroread "$@"

Exactly: for the moment, you can link the locale files into the new
location.

--
Jim Gettys <Jim.Gettys@hp.com>
HP Labs, Cambridge Research Laboratory