[Xcb] toying XCB

Bart Massey bart@cs.pdx.edu
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:40:47 -0800

In message <3FB12859.3000100@wanadoo.fr> you wrote:
> This afternoon, I decided to waste my free time on today (11 Nov 2003)
> XCB cvs. Everything was played using debian sid. Following is the short
> feedback and correction from cvs I made.

Thanks very much!  Your feedback is quite valuable.

> I found the dependencies on Xproto and Xau from
> FreeDesktop annoying. I did not want to modified my
> current installation (XFree86 4.3 from debian experimental
> project).

I understand.  You could probably build successfully from
your installed stuff (presumably Debian -dev packages): our
autoconf should support that.

> So, I get the freedesktop cvs for xlibs
> and made autogen.sh then the "./configure --prefix=/usr/X11R6; make" in
> xlibs/Xproto and xlibs/Xau. I did NOT "make install". I copy
> xlibs/Xproto/xproto.pc and xlibs/Xau/xau.pc in /usr/lib/pkgconfig (may
> be /lib/pkgconfig on other distro).
>
> The place of xcb.pc is wrong, I modified it by hand:
> mv /usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig/xcb.pc /usr/lib/pkgconfig/
> rmdir /usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig

We've been chatting about pkgconfig locations.  I suggest
putting a symlink from /usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig to the std
pkgconfig location (usually /usr/lib/pkgconfig).  I'm afraid
to make our stuff do this automatically, because there may
already be bits in there, and because folks may have nonstd
pkgconfig locations, and because some folks would disagree
with me.  We should definitely put something in the README
about all this, though.

> During the ./autogen.sh adventures, I get lot of complains and errors. I
> upgraded to the automake1.8 package. Errors vanished after cleanin up
> old stuff from previous automake. The automake1.4 was too old.
>
> Everything went smooth with automake version corrected.

Our autogen.sh should check for sufficiently recent
versions.

> Then I tried the stuff in xcb-demo.
>
> I got lot of troubles for each demos but were just minors typos in the
> end. I included at the end the small corrections I made (a compile.sh
> help is included per directory). All demos compiled and ran.

We just moved from hand-generated names for the XCB API to
names auto-generated from the protocol names.  We hadn't yet
updated most of the demos to match.  Thanks much for the
patches to do that!  We also need to autotool the
demos---it's on our list.

> rendertest display was garbage using XFree86 4.3 with a
> radeon 9000.

Huh.  I wonder what's up with that?  I suspect XFree, but it
could conceivably be an XCB thing...  Anyone got any hints
on how to go about debugging this?

Again, thanks very much for your help and your e-mail!

	Bart Massey
	bart@cs.pdx.edu