[Xcb] toying XCB

Carl Worth cworth@east.isi.edu
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 08:56:24 -0500

On Nov 11, Bart Massey wrote:
 > In message <3FB12859.3000100@wanadoo.fr> you wrote:
 > > The place of xcb.pc is wrong, I modified it by hand:
 > > mv /usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig/xcb.pc /usr/lib/pkgconfig/
 > > rmdir /usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig
 >
 > We've been chatting about pkgconfig locations.  I suggest
 > putting a symlink from /usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig to the std
 > pkgconfig location (usually /usr/lib/pkgconfig).

It seems that the standard thing to do is to let the lib/pkgconfig
directory follow the prefix. This seems like the most sane solution to
me.

It may be appropriate to modify pkgconfig itself slightly to make it
easier to use in situations like this, (there was some recent
discussion about this on the xdg-list at freedesktop.org).

Rather than a symlink here, wouldn't it be much easier to just use a
more conventional prefix for everything, like maybe /usr ?

-Carl (who would be happy to have a system without a /usr/X11R6
 directory)