[Xcb] toying XCB

Carl Worth cworth@east.isi.edu
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:14:39 -0500

On Nov 12, Bart Massey wrote:
 > In some ways, I'd like to see /usr/X11R6 die.  In some ways
 > it's nice: I switch X bits all the time, and it is nice to
 > be able to move them out of the way with 1 command.

Sure that's nice, but doesn't the same reasoning apply to hundreds of
other programs as well? I for one, would definitely not like to have
hundreds of package-specific directories under /usr.

 > The quick fix is just to add /usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig to its
 > default search path.  (Making folks set their pkgconfig
 > environment variable as a normal part of operation is
 > hopeless IMHO.)

I agree that's hopeless, but I don't agree with the cure. We're
obviously talking about new installs here. Is there any reason that
the xcb packages should have a non-standard default prefix? (where I'm
defining /usr/X11R6 as non-standard from the point of view of
pkgconfig).

If users were forced to set prefix=/usr/X11R6 in order to get packages
there, then it would be reasonable to expect them to fix up
PKG_CONFIG_PATH as well, no?

Or am I missing something that would make it difficult to run xcb out
of /usr/local or /usr ?

Just my two cents.

-Carl