[Xcb] toying XCB

Bart Massey bart@cs.pdx.edu
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:05:07 -0800

In some ways, I'd like to see /usr/X11R6 die.  In some ways
it's nice: I switch X bits all the time, and it is nice to
be able to move them out of the way with 1 command.

More on-topic :-), pkgconfig right now looks in
/usr/lib/pkgconfig and /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig by default.
The quick fix is just to add /usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig to its
default search path.  (Making folks set their pkgconfig
environment variable as a normal part of operation is
hopeless IMHO.)  A better fix would be to make pkgconfig do
what fontconfig already does: dig around the system for
pkgconfig directories and add whatever it can find.

One could also do as (I think) you suggested and make the
autotools know that the pkgconfig directory for X stuff is
not in $(prefix), but rather in $(pkgconfigprefix).  This is
a pain to implement AFAIK, and given the benefit, I still
prefer my solution of sticking in a symlink for now :-).

	Bart