[Xcb] Problem with xcb-test

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Mon Jun 14 10:45:01 PDT 2004

I can at least tell you that only the first two messages are
interesting, and the rest are because the first failed. It appears to
hang because it's looping, waiting for events: it's supposed to do that.
The only way to end xcb-test under any circumstances is to kill it with
a signal like ctrl-c.

These things would help: your processor type and OS variant
(distribution and version, etc.); the output of the xdpyinfo shipped
with your XFree86 bits; the value of your DISPLAY environment variable;
and whether rendertest successfully puts a window on the screen.

The second error message below seems odd. That says that a GetGeometry
request on the root window failed. xdpyinfo will help diagnose that, a
little: maybe XCB and Xlib will disagree about which window is the root
window, giving clues to a bug in XCB. (Unfortunately the XCB version of
xdpyinfo doesn't output the root window ID, but that info is in the
output you provided below.) I guess the BadWindow error would be due to
the wrong root window being provided.

It's also quite possible that xcb-test itself is buggy. (I know of one
bug that you don't seem to have run into; you'd see a BadMatch on seqnum
3 if you hit that.) I have a lot more faith in the XCB library than in
any of the demos, mostly because the demos rely on the semantics of X,
while the library only has to get the protocol right. I'm not very good
at understanding X semantics yet... The rendertest application provides
a good datapoint because it was contributed by Andy Howe and so doesn't
have exactly the same semantic confusions as my code.

Thanks for trying this code out.

--
Jamey Sharp <jamey at minilop.net> - http://minilop.net/