[Xcb] Problem with xcb-test

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Tue Jun 15 08:03:38 PDT 2004

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 02:20:01PM +0300, Anni Kotilainen wrote:
> I can't give the xdpyinfo (at least right now), because at the moment
> I'm in the process of reinstalling my Gentoo due to unrelated reasons.

I don't know yet what's going on. I want to record some thoughts here
though.

> My processor is Athlon 9700 pro, distro is up to date Gentoo (2004.1).
> The DISPLAY environmental variable was ":0.0", I actually had to set
> it just to stop getting the error that xcb couldn't connect to the
> server - it was empty before.

There's a short list of kinds of bugs that I won't be surprised if
testing reveals in XCB. That list contains both endianness and alignment
bugs. It doesn't look like you're having either of those problems:
both client and server are on x86 architecture which is, of course, what
XCB has received the most testing on; and the fact that you get a very
sensible-looking stream of errors suggests the protocol stream is in
sync and not misaligned somewhere.

Having an unset DISPLAY variable can certainly cause problems. :-) I do
wonder whether that was a sign of something else being wrong. You did
have other X apps running fine, right?

> I did try rendertest too but got no window.

This is consistent with my guess about the root window ID being wacky.

When you have a chance, could you grab the xcb-demo updates I've just
committed and re-test? (The behavior shouldn't change for you, but I've
fixed the BadMatch error that I was seeing, so who knows...) Please try
hypnomoire too; I've added code to it that does a GetGeometry request on
whatever it believes to be the root window and displays part of the
results.

> In case it's relevant, I also had to fight Gentoo over autoconf and
> automake a bit because it insisted on using versions that weren't recent
> enough. After that I had to run autogen.sh twice (getting a lot of
> warnings over missing "'s or something on the way), but in the end it
> seemed to install okay.

Could you send me (privately, perhaps) the complete build output? I can
probably clear up your build issues. Maybe it'll even make a difference,
though I'm skeptical.

I'd probably accept patches to make XCB build with older versions of
autoconf and automake, too.

> I hope this helps, I'll be able to play with it more once my OS is up and
> running again.

Thanks for playing. :-)
--
Jamey Sharp <jamey at minilop.net> - http://minilop.net/