[Xcb] Figuring out how events differ in XCB compared to Xlib

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Tue Aug 2 02:00:28 EST 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-31 at 01:50 -0700, Travis Spencer wrote:
> On 7/25/05, Jamey Sharp <jamey at minilop.net> wrote:
> > We need a porting guide. I don't suppose you'd care to
> > start one, Travis? A wiki page on the subject would be perfect.
>
> I started the porting guide tonight.  It can be found at
> http://xcb.freedesktop.org/wiki/XcbPorting.  The only one of those
> links at the bottom that has any info so far is
> XCBConnectionOfDisplay.  I'll work on it some more tomorrow.

That's awesome, Travis! Thank you!

To answer one of the questions you posed in the guide so far, "You
can't." The question was "How do you get a Display object given an
XCBConnection object?" Any function that takes only an XCBConnection has
to be a pure XCB function, and so do all the things it calls. (I'm lying
a little bit, in the sense that you could hack around it with a global
hashtable or something. But I certainly wouldn't recommend it.)

I just put my slides up in the Publications section, from my talk two
weeks ago. Slide 20 has my recommended porting strategy; would you mind
looking it over?

Thanks again, Travis,
--Jamey