[Xcb] XCBImage

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Sun Mar 6 15:09:58 PST 2005

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 11:05:21PM +0100, Vincent Torri wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, Jamey Sharp wrote:
> > I've finally had a chance to try out this code. The SHM test works
> > nicely, but the normal test seems to be returning an X error and
> > segfaulting. I haven't had a chance to look into what error is coming
> > back yet.
>
> the WorksForMe(tm) strikes again. I'll see that. maybe with valgrind if
> there's a problem

Sorry, I could have been more specific. XCBGetImageReply is returning
NULL when reflect_window calls xcb_image_get, which I assume is because
there's something wrong with the GetImage request, and we're getting a X
error in response.

A short while later the test program tries to dereference this null
pointer and, naturally, dies. But that's just a cascading error.

> > I'd like to get your code into CVS soon: it looks ready for that to me.
>
> the code is really ugly...
> but it will be simplier for you to modify it, i think.
>
> tell me where i can add it, something like xcb/misc/xcb_image
> and misc is used for ugly or test code

Heh! Don't be so hard on yourself. Your code is fine. :-)

I've created a new CVS module, xcb-util, to go along with xcb-proto,
xcb, and xcb-demo. Then I committed the contents of your version 0.2
tarball in an "image" subdirectory, and finally committed some little
tweaks. (xcbint.h shouldn't be used by anything, and is only installed
so Xlib can use it. Xlib shouldn't use it either, but I haven't decided
how to fix that yet... Also I wanted a makefile rather than build
scripts, and there were a couple of minor GCC warnings that I fixed.)
We'll get xcb-util autofoo'd eventually, and it'll be where utility
libraries built on top of XCB live. I hope to see more stuff like this
soon.

Bart, thanks for poking the fd.o admins for CVS access for Vincent and
Jeremy. Vincent, feel free to post patches to the list here until your
account is created, and I'll commit for you.

--Jamey