[Xcb] about XTextProperty

Vincent Torri Vincent.Torri at iecn.u-nancy.fr
Fri May 13 22:48:40 PDT 2005

On Fri, 13 May 2005, Jamey Sharp wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 07:36 +0200, Vincent Torri wrote:
> > I would like to know if it is interesting that something like
> > XTextProperty (and related functions) being implemented ?
>
> I've finally had a chance to look up the X{Get,Set}TextProperty
> functions, but I don't understand how they're any improvement on plain
> GetProperty and ChangeProperty. I assume you've been working with code
> that uses them; can you explain how they help?
>
> I don't think I like any of the functions that convert between
> TextList/StringList and TextProperty representations, and the wc and mb
> variants of those look especially ugly to me.

Well, ecore uses the TextList/StringList functions a lot. Up for now, I've
succeeded in not using them. GetProperty and ChangeProperty were
sufficient. But it was particular cases. Nevertheless, I think that I'll
need the mb variants. I've not seen the code in detail yet, so maybe I'll
be able to do the same simplifications than for the TextList/StringList
functions. It would be nice (and faster, in addition).
 In case I need them, having them implemented somewhere would be
convenient. But I'll try to avoid them as much as possible.

I agree that their code is really not nice at all. I really don't like the
way Xlib is written.

Vincent