[Xcb] A plea for self-sufficient headers

Jeremy Kolb jkolb at brandeis.edu
Tue May 17 20:14:04 PDT 2005

Josh Triplett wrote:
> Jamey Sharp wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 04:32 -0700, Carl Worth wrote:
>>
>>>I just noticed that X11/XCB/render.h depends on X11/XCB/xcb.h but does
>>>not include it itself.
>>
>>Ouch. I swear that used to be right. We'll fix it, of course.
>>
>>Josh, would you mind taking care of that?
>

> Fixed by moving #include "xcb.h" from the generated source to the
> generated header.  Note that generated extension headers never did
> include xcb.h; they only ever included the headers for the other
> extensions they reference.  I also modified xcbext.h to be
> self-sufficient as well.
>
> I agree that headers should always be self-sufficient and guarded
> aganist re-inclusion; you should only have to include what *you* need,
> not what all the headers need as well.
>
> - Josh Triplett

This is MUCH better!

One quick thing though: can we get the return types on the line above
the function def?  We have some pretty unwieldly names (check out
glx.h... it has some nasty ones).  That might help remove clutter.

I was also thinking if there was a way they could be grouped better like
by request/reply or maybe the iter functions grouped together.... not
sure though, that might not work.  Anyways, much better thanks!

Jeremy