[Xcb] xcb unit tests

Trevor Woerner xcb506 at vtnet.ca
Thu Sep 15 20:38:59 PDT 2005

Prior to my exposure to xcb about a month and a half ago, I wasn't aware
of the "check" unit test facility. Since then I've been using it quite
extensively. As you probably know, "check" can be configured to
generate an XML log file. I've written an XSLT stylesheet for
transforming that output into a decent HTML page complete with
different colours to indicate individual test result status.

Anyone interested?

I've found that if a test fails I generally want "make" to keep going so
the HTML test result page will get generated. For this to occur I use
the "-k" flag when doing a "make check". Since I'm specifying the "-k"
flag I prefer to have the unit tests performed in a directory different
from that of the sources themselves. That way I can _not_ specify the
"-k" flag when building xcb itself; making it easier to catch compile
errors with the library. Is there any interest in moving the unit tests
to a different directory? I'd be happy to do this, but I wouldn't know
how to submit a diff for this.

I'd also be happy to modify the build system to automatically generate
the HTML results page as part of any "make check".

I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes by making these suggestions.