[Xcb] xcb unit tests

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Thu Sep 15 20:58:52 PDT 2005

Hi Trevor!

On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 23:38 -0400, Trevor Woerner wrote:
> Prior to my exposure to xcb about a month and a half ago, I wasn't aware
> of the "check" unit test facility. Since then I've been using it quite
> extensively. As you probably know, "check" can be configured to
> generate an XML log file. I've written an XSLT stylesheet for
> transforming that output into a decent HTML page complete with
> different colours to indicate individual test result status.
>
> Anyone interested?

Absolutely. :-) As we get more of a test suite going, maybe we'll set up
a tinderbox and everything and incorporate this HTML output into that.

> I've found that if a test fails I generally want "make" to keep going so
> the HTML test result page will get generated. For this to occur I use
> the "-k" flag when doing a "make check". Since I'm specifying the "-k"
> flag I prefer to have the unit tests performed in a directory different
> from that of the sources themselves. That way I can _not_ specify the
> "-k" flag when building xcb itself; making it easier to catch compile
> errors with the library. Is there any interest in moving the unit tests
> to a different directory? I'd be happy to do this, but I wouldn't know
> how to submit a diff for this.
>
> I'd also be happy to modify the build system to automatically generate
> the HTML results page as part of any "make check".

I am entirely in favor of all of these suggestions. To produce a patch,
just use 'cvs diff -Nu' (and remember to use 'cvs add' and 'cvs remove'
as needed first), which will pretend like deleted files are empty; I'll
be happy to straighten out any weird side effects before committing.

> I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes by making these suggestions.

Not at all. It's an open source project, anyway: the "show me the code"
response tends to trump the "hey, those are *my* bits!" response.

--Jamey