[Xcb] git rollback question

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu Apr 27 15:07:12 PDT 2006

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 14:49:47 -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:

> git-rebase may work here as well.

Yes, indeed. You just described a careful, manual implementation of
pretty much exactly what git-rebase does.

I use git-rebase quite regularly to avoid merge commits when I have
local (unpushed commits) and I also need to fetch new upstream
commits.

From my master, with my local commits, I do:

	git fetch origin
	git rebase origin

And I'm ready to go with my local commits now nicely replayed on top
of origin, (and a fair amount less work than what you describe). The
one failing of git-rebase is when there's a failed merge part way
through.

Fortunately, there's an upcoming patch that provides git-rebase
--continue for moving on after manually fixing the merge, and
git-rebase --abort for just starting over again.

(In the meantime, the git-rebase documentation does point to how to
continue and abort. The commands exist, they just have funny names,
("git am --resolved --3way" and "git reset --hard ORIG_HEAD; rm -r
.dotest")

-Carl