[Xcb] low-level API changes

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Fri Mar 3 14:46:38 PST 2006

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 09:16:14PM +0100, Vincent Torri wrote:
> hey,

Hi Vincent!

> whow, lots of changes :) and good stuff too :) it's great !

Thanks. :-)

> 1) did you profile xcb to see if there are some improvements ?

The batch of changes before this one had a few performance fixes that at
least helped x11perf on Xlib/XCB. The NoOperation test, which is the
worst case for x11perf, went from 7% as fast as stock Xlib up to 20% as
fast. I don't know if pure-XCB apps gained anything from that work,
though. If you have particular benchmarks you care about you might try
running them again.

> 2) What about adding a TODO file in which you write all the modifications
> ? I know that there is a TODO on the wiki, but maybe this one can be more
> xcb-core oriented

I've been doing a better job of using Bugzilla over the last few weeks,
especially since daniels fixed it for me. :-) The bugs in the XCB
product currently reflect most of the issues I know about.

> 3) can I commit the changes about the documentation that I have added to
> xcb..h ? (maybe you want to see the diff first)

I would like to see the diff first, yes, but I would like to get your
work committed.

Could you also do me a favor and recast your visibility patch, and any
others I haven't committed, against the current code? There have been
cleanups in configure.ac and all over that may make your patches
cleaner.

--Jamey