[Xcb] low-level API changes

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Fri Mar 3 20:12:32 PST 2006

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 11:55:10AM -0800, Jamey Sharp wrote:
> These changes should be ABI-compatible with pure-XCB apps. All the
> incompatibility stems from changes to XCBSendRequest, which is part of
> the extension API in xcbext.h and is not expected to be used by
> applications. These changes include various error handling improvements

Bart pointed out that the error-handling improvements may change the
behavior of existing XCB apps. At present, the behavior is this:

Requests that don't produce replies ("void requests") will have their
errors deposited in the event queue. We're calling this an un-checked
error.

Non-void requests will have errors set aside. If you pass null (0) for
the 'XCBGenericError **' argument of the XCB*Reply function, the error
will be discarded; otherwise it will be placed in the pointer you
provide. This is called a checked error.

We need two things now: an inspection of existing XCB code to find out
if any callers need to be updated; and implementation of API for both
checked and un-checked errors on all kinds of requests. I'm hoping other
people will do both these steps.

--Jamey