[Xcb] XCB CVS migrated to GIT

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Sun Mar 5 00:13:49 PST 2006

On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 08:01:14AM +0100, Vincent Torri wrote:
> hey,

Hi Vincent!

> I've made a check out as a dev, i have updated the git tree, I have
> modified the tutorial file index.html. Then
>
> nothing to commit
>
> wtf ? I've modified some files and they are "marked" as modified (they are
> in the # comments), but index.html is not there...

GIT has a staging area called the "index". Normally, changes are first
made in the working copy, then the index is updated, and finally the
contents of the index are committed. If you haven't updated the index,
then git-commit won't do anything. Use 'git-update-index <filename>' to
do that.

Alternatively, you can use 'git-commit -a', which will commit all
changes to existing files in the working directory, including file
deletions. It won't commit newly-created files, though. Be careful with
this approach as it's easy to commit changes you didn't want.

By the way: If you create new files, you need to 'git-add <filename>' to
tell GIT that it's OK to commit them. (That much is just like CVS.)

You might like to use cogito instead of using git directly, since I hear
cogito is a bit more like CVS. I won't be able to help you if you have
problems with cogito though. Please read the documentation for these
tools in any case, perhaps starting with the tutorial on the XCB web
page and continuing with other tutorials linked from there.

> also, cvs was working, xcb is not a big project (in terms of files). I
> don't understand why you decided to change to git.

I've been loving it. Distributed version control, the index, fast access
to the entire project history, gitk, whole-tree atomic commits, and
other features of GIT have been doing great things for my ability to get
work done on XCB without screwing up.

That said, we ought to have asked those contributors who weren't in the
room with us -- which I guess means you and Jeremy -- for your opinions
before making the move, and I apologize for not doing that.

--Jamey