[Xcb] xcb with BSD make and on DragonFly

Josh Triplett josh at freedesktop.org
Wed Mar 8 02:05:07 PST 2006

Barton C Massey wrote:
> In message <20060308071149.GF5981 at id.minilop.net> you wrote:
>>On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 09:53:21PM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>>>1) Will released versions of xcb source require
>>>[xsltproc]? (I haven't looked yet, but didn't see
>>>discussion on wiki or INSTALL.)
>>
>>Is xsltproc specifically a problem, or are you concerned about the use
>>of XSLT generally?
>
> At minimum, we should ship pre-xsltproc-ed versions of all
> the XCB headers.  I personally have no problem with
> requiring XCB developers to have specific build tools, but I
> think we shouldn't require anything too magic of folks who
> just want to build and install it.

I tend to agree.  One good question is what Mesa does, since Mesa
currently makes use of some Python scripts to do XML-based code
generation.  Does Mesa require Python to build, or do they pregenerate
the code at some point?  If the latter, when does that pregeneration occur?

> The problem is that SCMSs generally don't like to have stuff
> in them that is "stored but not tracked".  Does GIT have
> something like this?

Not as far as I know.  I think the right solution here might be to
generate them as part of "make dist{,check}", using a dist-local rule or
similar.  However, I'm also inclined to say that we don't need to solve
that problem before we create our first set of tarballs.

- Josh Triplett