[Xcb] Re: [Xcb-commit] Branch 'xspec' - xcb-proto

Alp Toker alp at atoker.com
Wed Mar 15 11:42:26 PST 2006

Jeremy A. Kolb wrote:
> onnoff is the name given in the headers,  Since we want to be true to the
> protocol shouldn't this name remain unchanged?

Quoting the original xv protocol spec:

     SelectVideoNotify
       drawable: DRAWABLE
       onoff: BOOL

     The SelectVideoNotify request enables or disables VideoNotify
     event delivery to the requesting client.  VideoNotify events are
     generated when video starts and stops.

You will notice that onoff is a boolean that will enable or disable the
delivery of the VideoNotify event.

I have issues with the semantics of "onoff". If "onoff" is TRUE, does
that mean it is both 'on' and 'off'? I don't think so.

While the X protocol specs are generally quite accurate, they are no
"holy book". In this case, it seems clear that "enable" or "enabled" is
an accurate description of the field while "onoff" is not.

In creating the 'xspec' branch, I've effectively offered to maintain the
X11 protocol docs, which are currently not provided in any standard
format. Some are written in troff, others in formatted text, some appear
to have been authored at some point with FrameMaker and others are not
documented anywhere except in the implementation, or the implementation
has long since deviated from the documentation.

The goal of xspec is to integrate this documentation in a standard XML
format, updating inconsistencies and adding cross-references in a
language-agnostic manner. Whether it will gain acceptance is another
matter, and it's quite possible that I might misinterpret a request here
or an event there, so your careful attention to every commit is welcome,
but I've stated my intention not only to annotate, but also to clarify
the documentation and hope you'll agree that this can only help.