[Xcb] Re: Branch 'xspec' - xcb-proto

Josh Triplett josh at freedesktop.org
Fri Mar 17 11:12:50 PST 2006

Jamey Sharp wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 08:58:49PM +0000, Alp Toker wrote:
>>Jamey Sharp wrote:
>>As far as the naming changes go, the rationale is that you can easily go
>>from GContext to GCONTEXT, but not the reverse. It seems that without
>>the changes I've made in the xspec branch, replacing the protocol header
>>files will be quite unintuitive. If you don't replace them, you're still
>>left maintaining a minimum of two copies of the protocol for another 20
>>years.
>
> You're more ambitious than I am. I expect the protocol headers to die
> along with Xlib, and to change rarely regardless, so maintaining two
> copies is not a big deal. It's also not hard to have special cases in
> the header generator for GCONTEXT and the handful of other names that
> aren't just first-letter-capitalized.
>
> My goal is that the protocol documentation serve as documentation for
> the language bindings as well, for any new development like XCB or XNB.
> So although the all-caps name GCONTEXT is inconvenient for the special
> backwards-compatibility case of generating Xlib-style protocol headers,
> having to change the case for everything else is a cost I'm not excited
> about paying.

I think that the goal is to make the protocol documentation use
something which can always be transformed to the conventions of a given
language.  That means we need clear word boundaries.

Alp: I thought the plan was to use names like g-context, create-g-c,
do-interesting-stuff, etc?

- Josh Triplett