[Xcb] Bug 6254: remove XCB's xproto/X11 dependency

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Wed Mar 15 12:01:31 PST 2006

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 11:27:01AM -0800, Ian Osgood wrote:
> Done. Already in smaller commits, now that I'm getting the hang of
> git.

Great, thanks!

> On Mar 15, 2006, at 10:54 AM, Jamey Sharp wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 10:33:07AM -0800, Ian Osgood wrote:
> >> The final step would be to remove X.h from xcb.h, but this would
> >> (trivially) break any project which currently uses XCB.
> >
> > Yeah... Well, probably we should make that change before release.
>
> There are still many X.h constants to move to xproto.h, but none of
> them are currently being used in XCB itself.

I don't think copying those constants is a release-critical task.
XCB-based apps and libraries can use X.h for as long as they want to. As
we make more constants available and new releases of XCB spread, more
people can drop X.h dependencies. This plan seems harmless.

That said, it'd be better to release with all the constants available.

> Time to write more demos?

That would be awesome. Are you volunteering? :-)

A nice selection of ports from the xorg/app CVS module would lead to
some useful tools without too much work.

--Jamey