[Xcb] releasing

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Mar 16 14:43:21 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 13:17 -0800, Jamey Sharp wrote:

> One of the 1.0 release blockers is bug #5983, "split extensions into
> their own libraries". :-) I think most of the extensions shouldn't be
> released right now. Only xc-misc and bigreq are used by Xlib/XCB anyway.

As 7.1 is a pure katamari, Xlib/XCB needs to be *released* in some form
before it can become a part of 7.1.

Stability concerns are purely about Xlib atop XCB; I think its OK if the
underlying XCB bits are less than perfect. But, of course the XCB ABI
needs to be stable, and if that means splitting out a bunch of
extensions, then that needs to be done first.

Missing 7.1 won't be terrible as we can (and should) release Xlib
separately when it's ready.

keith.packard at intel.com