[Xcb] missing xdmcp in the wiki dev page

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Sat May 6 23:26:58 PDT 2006

On Sat, May 06, 2006 at 09:05:58PM -0700, Barton C Massey wrote:
> I want it; I still run into old X terminals once in a while.

That's fine: XCB supports you today. :-)

> If I can find a copy of my sources, which I think is not
> impossible, I'll throw them back in and remove this
> dependency.

I'm still not satisfied that we're legally allowed to do that, so I
rather like the current implementation's lack of any actual DES
implementation. If you really feel replacing the current support for
XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 with a different implementation is worth your time,
would you get permission in writing from a lawyer or the State
Department first?

> Note that without XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1, there's no real way
> to host one machine from another.

I don't understand. AFAICT, you have to get the authorization token to
the client machine one way or another, whether it's a magic cookie or
the eight bytes of XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 data. So from an administrative
or user perspective, they seem equivalent for this task. What's unreal
about MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1?

--Jamey