[Xcb] Working on RandR 1.2 proto

Ian Osgood iano at quirkster.com
Thu Nov 30 11:32:23 PST 2006

On Nov 29, 2006, at 12:24 PM, Keith Packard wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 11:41 -0800, Ian Osgood wrote:
>> I've attached the 1.2 version of randr.xml (I didn't bother with a
>> diff since it is mostly new and the 1.2 sections are marked. Please
>> review, especially the requests marked TODO and FIXME. I haven't
>> built the randr 1.2 server, so this is totally untested.
>>
>> (Annoyance: it would be nice to be able to 'make install randr.xml'
>> so you didn't need to rebuild the whole shebang when one extension
>> changes. Or have a target which only copies newer XML files into the
>> destination.)
>>
>> I'm seeing lots of discrepancies between randrproto.h and
>> randrproto.txt. Is it too early to be working on this? Of course, I'm
>> using the code as the final arbiter but there are still many
>> unanswered questions, especially since many of the new libXrandr
>> methods are unimplemented. I also noted requests where randrproto.h
>> looks wrong (BUG).
>
> Thanks for catching the errors; can you verify that
> QueryOutputPropertyReply and GetCrtcGammaSizeReply were the only two
> errors you found in randrproto.h?
>
> Btw, it's not too early to be working on this, we've frozen the
> protocol
> and have released randrproto 1.2.0. As far as we know, aside from
> bugs,
> the protocol is done. Most of it is even implemented on both sides of
> the wire; the remaining pieces were copied from other extensions so we
> don't anticipate any significant issues with them, but will be working
> to complete the implementation shortly. (yeah, I know, I've done this
> before with Render, but I'm trying to finish it up faster this time)
>
> --
> keith.packard at intel.com

A few more things:

• ListOutputProperies has a CARD16 nAtoms field which seems to be
ignored by libXrandr, which uses the CARD8 nProperties instead.

• libXrandr QueryOutputProperty passes in Atom property, but it is
not set into the request.

• sz_xRROUtputChangeNotifyEvent and sz_xRROUtputPropertyNotifyEvent
are misspelled (s/U/u/)
(Is there a historical reason for these sz_* defines instead of using
sizeof()?)

Ian

P.S. Once I've checked in randr.xml, please feel free to enhance xcb/
demo/xcbrandr to test the 1.2 changes.