[Xcb] Committing to xcb?

Josh Triplett josh at freedesktop.org
Fri May 4 00:52:48 PDT 2007

Matthias Hopf wrote:
> On Apr 11, 07 17:30:35 +0200, Matthias Hopf wrote:
>> I have some fixes for XCB, and also as I might mentor some SoC student
>> in that area, it'd probably good if I had commit rights for these git
>> repositories :)
>>
>> So is anybody willing to add me to the xcb group on annarchy/git? Or
>> should that follow a more formal protocol?
>
> Now some weeks have passed, I added a formal request (Bugzilla #10755),
> still nothing happens.
>
> I would suggest at least telling me why it is so difficult to either
> join the XCB development, or to get a rejection.

I did see your mail, and I apologize for not responding sooner.  In my case,
this occurred partly because I didn't quite know the answer to give.

We typically do give people git commit access who have submitted good patches
and plan to work on XCB more in the future.  However, I hadn't seen any
patches, or mails to the list, and I didn't know what kind of work you wanted
to do on XCB.  Please pardon the caution.  However, that doesn't give us an
excuse to simply fail to respond.  My sincere apologies.

For the purposes of mentoring an SoC student, regardless of whether you have
commit access or not, the student should grab a copy of XCB from git, maintain
their own branch, and publish that branch (on people.fd.o if they have an fd.o
account, or if not, wherever they can publish a repository).  The student
should plan on resyncing their work to the current XCB git tree frequently
(or, as frequently as XCB changes upstream; not that hard to keep up with :)
).

- Josh Triplett