[Xcb] use of xcb in a thread safe program

Vincent Torri vtorri at univ-evry.fr
Sat May 19 23:47:58 PDT 2007

Hey,

I plan to write a video sink for gstreamer [1] using xcb. The reason is
that Gstreamer has already an Xlib video sink, but they got some problems
with locking, etc...

Gstreamer itself is thread safe.

I do not know anything about threads (well, a bit :) ), so I would like to
know a bit more how I can use xcb with Gstreamer (or a any thread safe
lib). That is, even if xcb is thread safe, should I use mutex to lock (at
one step of the prog) or not ? Or can I use xcb like if threads didn't
exists (that is, as in a beautiful world :) ) ?

thank you

Vincent Torri

[1] http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/